Nigeria Reads Initiative is a non-profit organization dedicated to mobilizing the latent educational opportunities in Nigeria’s outlying communities through the establishment of literacy centers and programming. Our journey began with the establishment of a Tasha Community Library through our Friends of the Library project, in which we rallied the support of Community-Based Organizations, Private-Public partnerships, and other stakeholders to establish a literacy project and programming.
To date, we have reached over 1,800 young people in 27 communities across 7 states in Nigeria through literacy.
Our Mission, Goal & Focus
Nigeria Reads is a non-profit organization with a mission to promote literacy and mobilize the latent educational opportunities across Nigeria.
Nigeria Reads is a non-profit organization with a mission to promote literacy and education across Nigeria.
Our goal is to facilitate the natural spread of literacy initiatives all over Nigeria and instil in young people a love of learning that will serve them well throughout their lives.
We focus on providing access to books and educational resources to children and young adults mostly in underserved communities. Through partnerships with schools, libraries, and other organizations, Nigeria Reads aims to improve literacy rates and empower individuals to reach their full potential.
Nigeria Reads Initiative project goals:
Core Library Services
Nigeria Reads Content
- Create collection of books
- Classify and catalogue books
- Safe spaces for constructive leisure e.g pleasure reading, a place to do assignment or group reading, place to meet serious smart students
- Create content by engaging the community
- Use content created for educational purposes
- Make annual reports of activities and measured impact within the year
- We offer early literacy, rhythmic story time and family literacy activities in partnership with our host communities and stakeholders
- We offer intergenerational integration by connecting elders with youths (Foster cultural expression) thus keeping the youths engaged and the community mobilized
- Information center to offer useful services and where they can be found
- We offer career advisory services and general educational consulting for our host communities and potential partners